The year was 1953. The Dadar-Matunga-Mahim belt in Central Mumbai
was fast developing into a locality of predominantly middle class
residents. People from different walks of life, caught in the maelstrom
of burgeoning metropolitan growth and a deep psychic need to revive
and consolidate their cultural roots.
As the cultural activity in the city was confined to distant suburbs
and South Mumbai, the residents of Dadar-Matunga-Mahim belt found
themselves in a sort of 'vacuum'. It was in such an environment
that a few spirited social workers and connoisseurs of Hindustani
classical music, led by a discerning music lover, the late Dr. S.
G. Joshi came together and decided to start an institution devoted
primarily to promoting Hindustani classical music and allied performing
arts. An institution with a wide membership would foster in the
residents of the area a healthy taste of clean wholesome entertainment.
The Dadar Matunga Cultural Centre – then called Dadar Matunga
Social Club – was founded in November 1953, with an initial
membership of about 500 eminent men and women – ranging from
office-goers to people from the medical, legal, engineering and
other professions. Today, the Centre has a membership of over 1100
and over the years, has come to be regarded as a veritable beacon
to lovers of Hindustani classical music and other cultural activities.